Is bacigyl-n safe as a first medicine against lose motions for 10 month old baby?

Dr. Mitaly

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,is bacigyl-n safe as a first medicine against lose motions for 10 month old baby? is there any better alternative medicine?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Babies at this age have tendency to put everything in mouth due to teething which can lead to infections which can be bacterial or viral in nature.The medication prescribed by your treating doctor is fine as antibiotic will help in curing the infection and Bacigyl N in syrup form especially comes for pediatric age group itself. Also remember oral antibiotic takes 48 to 72 hours to be effective so do not worry.

Meanwhile some tips for you:
1) Keep the baby well hydrated as he has both loose motion and vomiting. You can give ORS which is easily available, several times a day.
2) Before handling the baby make sure hands are washed and clean.
3) Try giving him light food as mashed rice, khichdi etc.
4) Give him mashed banana with curd. It will help in loose motions also.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Mitaly 38 minutes later
1) My concern with Bacigyl-N was bcoz it is antibiotic. I have heard that antibiotics if given at such early stage can reduce natural immunity of the baby. Can you please guide if this is a miconception?
2) Is Vizylac syrup better than Bacigyl-N?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks again

Since the baby has infection it definitely requires an antibiotic treatment because if the loose motions are not controlled it can lead to serious problems.You can go ahead with the medication as it would not have any affect on the child's immunity.

Regarding Vizylac it is just a Vitamin complex and contains good bacteria which are lost during frequent stool passage.You can give it along with Bacigyl N but it is not an alternative to that.

Wishing speedy recovery of your child!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E