Is avoiding milk normal in a one year old?
My 18 month old son just suddenly stopped taking baby formula. He usually takes 3-4 bottles of 240ml formula milk throughout the day including just before bedtime, which normally helps put him to sleep. Now he is refusing milk and is instead opting for juice or water. He is cranky before bedtime as he used to take the bottle and fall asleep. Is this normal? What should we substitute his milk with?
Your child is developing a healthy habit
Hi...your child is developing a healthy habit in avoiding milk. Children of this age should be getting a maximum of 300 to 400 ml of milk per day. If you exceed this limit there is a possibility that they might develop constipation because of excess calcium in the milk.
If he wants just plain water or fruit juice before going to bed please do continue that habit. But make sure that the last meal he takes before going to bed is a solid food, because that will keep him from awakening in the mid night due to hunger.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Any fruit can be given and seasonal fruits are best
Hi...Any fruit is good. All seasonal fruits are best. Fruits as such are best rather than fruit juice. Best is giving mashed fruits as such.
The best source for calcium is milk, 300-400ml per day. If he is not accepting milk then you can give other calcium supplements like Syrup Shelcal. The dose will be 5ml twice a day for 3 months.
But this is a prescription drug and hence you will require a doctor's prescription for it.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- 19 year old avoided heart attack cardioapothy
- My 2 year old got old milk
- Nido milk for 2 years old
- My one year old is throwing up milk
- Milk spots in two year old
- Milk spots on a fourteen year old
- Milk supplement for a 35 years old baby
- Cow or buffalo milk for 1 year old babies
- Nestle fresh milk for 1 year old
- Avoid typhoid for 15 years old baby
- Suggest treatment for viral diarrhea in children
- What causes pain in both the legs of a 4 year old child?
- Suggest treatment for atrial septal defect in children
- What causes bad body odor while suffering from fever?
- What causes eye bleeding while coughing in children?
- Suggest remedy for frequent infections in children
- What causes severe cough, vomiting and stomach pain in a child?
- Is air travel safe while suffering from ear infection?
- Does intake of Wymox help in curing viral fever in an infant?
- Are green diarrhea and pus cells in stool signs of bacterial infection?