Is an ECHO report showing LVEF value as 45% a cause for worry?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had heart attack on last year August 2016 one stent had been implanted
My eco results says LVEF is 45%
Segmental hypokenisia
Is it harm full
I am taking medicines
1.starpress xl 25 mg
2.razol gold 20 mg
Please suggest me the remedy for it
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you should also start ace inhibitors like Tab Ramipril 1.25 or 2.5 mg

Detailed Answer:
Heart function is slightly decreased, normal is around 55-60%, but there is no need to worry as prognosis is good and you need to continue the medicine in order to prevent repeat attack and fall in function.
In medicine, you should also ace inhibitors like Tab Ramipril 1.25 or 2.5 mg to begin with depending upon the bp. This is good for heart and helps in maintaining heart function. So you discuss with local doctor and get it prescribed.
Otherwise, there is no excessive need to worry about. Continue to have healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, regular walking or brisk walking, avoid smoking and excessive alcohol if any.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 5 hours later
Can I play indoor badminton regularly
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but excessive exertion should be avoided

Detailed Answer:
Yes, but excessive exertion should be avoided. Mild to moderate activities if asymptomatic are allowed. Ideally, we should have treatmill test done and if negative we can advice accordingly.
Actually, badminton can involve strenous exercise as well which is not advisable so athletic badminton should be avoided. If you get any symptoms like chest heaviness, pain or shortness of breath then it should be avoided. I guess you don't have any symptoms at present. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana