• question-icon

Is alcohol consumption advisable while on Somac?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hey doctor just a couple of questions. I am currently on a Somac 40mg (Pantoprazole) prescription which I have attached a pic of which I take once a day and I was just wondering a about a few things. Can you drink alchool while on PPI's like Somac or is that out of the question and if you can should it be a certain amount if hours apart? Second thing do you have to have the tablet at the exact same time every night for example last night I had my tablet at 9pm because I didn't get home until late but would I be able to have it a bit earlier like around 6/7pm? Another thing a bit off topic I have my ear book to be irrigated next Thursday because it is blocked with ear wax and I was just wondering how many times a day and how many days for before should I use the wax ear drops? I have the Waxsol ear drops as well. Thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take somac upto 80 mg twice daily.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query-
See alcohol irritates the gastric mucosa and proton pump inhibitor prevents secretion of acid in stomach.As acid secretion is inhibited by ppi's it prevents gastritis caused by alcohol to a extent so once in a while you can take alcohol with Ppi's.
No you can take it according to your convienience.However it work best empty stomach therefore is usually used in morning empty stomach 7 a.m.

Ear wax should be used twice daily for 3 days before going for irrigation.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 hours later
Thanks for that doctor with the ear wax drops though how many times a day should I be using it and how many drops should be instilled into the ear?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear patient,
Ear wax drop should be used 2 drops two times a day in each ear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist