• question-icon

Is accidental consumption of dirt and dust by an infant a concern?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor, we were cleaning AC, so we have used tooth brush. While we cleaning our baby had took the brush. We were busy doing the cleaning. So when we saw her keeping brush in mouth. Almost dust was nit there. What should we do now? My main concern is that mat be dust went into her body, so will it make any trouble? Other thing which makes me worrying is werher it has any rubber form or liquid which would harm her?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't get panic, Observe the baby

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the detail and do understand your concern.
There is possibility of contamination of toothbrush with infected dust or some chemicals.
Inappropriate use of contaminated toothbrush may cause infection of intestine or gastritis.
I would suggest you to observe the baby for any abnormal symptoms like vomiting, loose stool, irritability or lethargy.
No need to worry much as nothing special is needed right now.
If you notice any abnormal symptoms please consult your pediatrician immediately.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology