Is a punch on upper right abdomen a concern during pregnancy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am 28 weeks pregnant and just got my growth scan done and by God's grace everything came out to be normal.Yesterday while attending a family function, my nephew who is 7 years old accidently punched on my right upper abdomen.Though I could feel the movement after sometime , I was really scared and rushed to nearby hospital.They checked baby's heart beat which was 155 and contractions varying from 20-25.A stress test was performef and they told everything is fine.My baby,s movements are perfect and no paim,no discharge or spotting.I can feel regular kicks.

Is dere anything to worry .Should i get my ultrasound done again to check foetal well being
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Health Care.Magic Forum. Thanks for trusting is with your health query.I have gone through your query and understand your concerns completely.
There is nothing to worry if movements are fine and tests were normal.
Just take rest for 2 days and lie down in left lateral position.
Dr Manisha Jain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
ok thanks .relieved.should i again go for ultrasound or is it ok as movements are pretty fine.
Also what is the need of the rest as dere is no pain n all
Will it affect my baby in future say premature birth ,still birth n all or any injury later on to the baby
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
No eventual side effect

Detailed Answer:
No it will not affect baby further if this week goes fine.
Rest is very important at your stage as you had mild contraction also so rest will lead to quiescence of uterine muscles and thus revert any danger of preterm pains due to those contractions.
All the best
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 21 minutes later
With uterine contractions you mean baby 's heart contractions which was ranging from 20-23 or something else
I am taking thorough rest also
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Off and on pain are contractions

Detailed Answer:
No contractions are slight off and on pain you must be experiencing after the jolt by the kid.
These are uterine muscle contractions and can eventually turn into preterm labour.
Rest is the only solution and easiest way out.