• question-icon

Is a platelet count of 62 a concern?

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I feel and bruised my knee 8 days ago the pain is worse now and I have a hematoma just below my knee on my inner calf and sweeping above my knee on the upper outer area been doing rice but even at rest with elevation it is very painful. I have chronic low platelets 62 is there anything more I can do at home. This started getting worse after working 12 hour shift on Thursday and today
Answered by Dr. Chaithanya 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER

Detailed Answer:
I’m Dr Chaithanya, an experienced Physician attending you
Thanks for asking a question at Healthcaremagic
I will be pleased to help you with the answer today.

You have low platelets and you have hematoma. Both I can say, is a dangerous combination. Though you can apply heat padding, elevation to relieve pain, I suggest go to ER or hospital once to drain the hematoma and check for platelets once.

When you have low platelets, there is a chance of you getting internal bleeding which is life thretening

Hope this helps
Please close the question and leave a good rating with positive feedback at the end.
Best Regards
Dr. Chaithanya

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Chaithanya