• question-icon

Is a lump in the breast a sign of cancer?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi. For a few years on my right side over my right breast i have what feels like a very hard ball or bone. Its below my clavicle muscle but above my breast. My doctors have always said its just my rib but the left side doesnt feel that way. My mom who is a practioner as well has said the same thing. I have been more nervous lately since my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer perhaps i am now worried I have a mass. Can this really be the rib or bones? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Prominent hard structure just below the clavicle and just above the breast is likely to be bone like rib or clavicle.
If it is examined and confirmed to be bone by several doctors, then it is likely to be normal.
Lung cancer do not presents like extenal nodule.
There is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine