Is a heart rate of 50 beats per minute a cause of concern?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello. My mother in law has a heart rate of 50 per minute. Is there something to worry about? She is 60 years old.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know
1. does she have any complaints such as dizziness, lightheadedness
2. Is it the first time you have measured low pulse
3. how did you measured 50 bpm, have you checked her pulse manually counting for 1 minutes, or it was measured with BP device
4. what is her usual pulse
5. what other diseases she has
6. does she have any arrhythmia, such as atrial fibrillation
7. does she take any medications

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 13 hours later
She doesnt have any other symptoms. Usually her heart rate is around but lately its been 50. It's measured by BP device. She is diabetic, also takes medicine for cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Շնորհակալություն պատասխանի համար:
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
If it is not below 50 and she has no complaints, such as weakness, lightheadedness, dizziness, it is not serious abnormality. Especially if she takes medication for high blood pressure, probably she takes beta blocker among them, which lowers her heart rate.
In case you notice that her heart rate goes below 50 or she have symptoms you should talk to her doctor to adjust the doses of the medications.

Hope I could help you

Wishing a good health to your mother in law

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist