Is a ALT reading of 59 a cause for concern?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 14 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Alt is 59 all other liver tests are within normal levels. MRI showed normal liver. Not fatty. I'm 56 female and weight 200 but have recently lost 20#. Have the occasional drink. Exercise 2-3 times a week. What should I do to improve this number? I'm scared.
Ast 26- bilirubin .4- alkaline phos 64
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your ALT is not at a concerning level

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Your ALT is just barely outside the higher end of normal by most labs' standards. It is barely elevated. If it were 200, I would be quite concerned, but not at 59. Especially with a normal liver on MRI. If your liver were inflamed it would be seen on MRI.

Things you can do to bring it down would be to continue to lose weight, and abstain from alcohol. But these thing are not really that necessary in terms of your liver right now as your liver seems to be overall healthy.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

(PS: Good job on losing 20 lbs!)