Is Tylenol advisable after taking Cortisone shot for knee pain?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a cortisone shot 12 hrs ago knee pain (a lesion). I used an eye pack for swelling, as recommended and have been resting. I have had a headache for the past 4 hours and can not sleep. May I take tylenol (the pain pill I was using before the orthopedic visit today) without a negative interaction?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get your BP checked.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Cortisone doesn't have significant interaction with Tylenol so you may take it for your headache.
I would also advice you to get your BP checked as rarely cortisone shots can cause rise in BP. However since the injection was given locally so chances are less.
As far as your query is concerned, there is no significant interaction between intraarticular cortisone shot and Tylenol.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Varshney - my BP was indeed high when I took it on my home machine. I've been avoiding getting on a BP medication regimen - working on losing weight and exercising instead, but it looks like I will soon have no choice but to go the Rx route. Appreciate your good counsel. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I wish for you a speedy recovery.
If you have no further queries you may close the discussion and rate it.