Is TSH level of 15.95 a cause for concern?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have my TSH level as 15.95 and I am 26 years old now.what dosage of thyronorm do i need to take now?
Kindly Suggest.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
100 mcg can be started

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The TSH level is indeed high and therefore thyroxine supplementation needs to be started. A dose of 100 mcg can be started and given for a couple of months before re-testing and titrating the dose.

Please be sure to be under the treatment of a doctor so that he can follow you up and titrate the dose. Self medication is not advisable in such a case.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana