What causes recurrent fungal infection in the groin area?
no matter how hard i try to keep the area dry and hygienic. Please provide your valuable inputs.
Tinea cruris. Oral and topical antifungals
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us.
I am Dr. kakkar(Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Recurrence of fungal infection in groin region (tinea cruris) may be due to several factors apart from heat, sweat and humidity e.g inadequate duration of treatment, using OTC steroid creams for symptomatic improvement, underlying factors like uncontroled diabetes, obesity/ deep groin folds, wearing improper clothing e.g tight fitting clothes which are less airy, synthetic clothes which are suffocating for the skin and favor retention of moisture.
Therefore general advice related to treatment of fungal infection includes wearing loose fitting cotton clothes, bathing twice daily, keeping finger nails short, avoiding self medication or OTC steroid based creams, using separate towel, washing clothes daily and exposing them to dry out in the sun for at least 2 hours and ironing clothes as well as undergarments.
In addition to the general advice I usually start my patients on an oral antifungal e.g either itraconazole capsules or terbinafine tablets as well as a topical antifungal cream e.g either luliconazole 1% cream or sertaconazole 2% cream. In case of recurrent or tough to treat tinea infections i suggest my patients to continue both oral and topical treatment longer than the usual duration of 2-4 weeks. I ask them to continue for at least 6-8 weeks.
These are all prescription medications and I suggest that you kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diseases caused by fungal infections
- What causes fungal infections
- Treatment and cure for recurrent fungal infection
- Recurrent fungal infection causes
- Drugs/medication for recurrent fungal infection
- Recurrent fungal infection in groin prescribed medicines permanent solution
- Diagnosis of recurrent fungal infection
- Symptoms of recurrent fungal infection
- Worm fungal infection causes
- What causes fungal infections in urine
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body