Is Mycoplasma genitalium an STD infection?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello how likely is it to get mycoplasma genatalium from unprotected oral thabks
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's a STD

Detailed Answer:
Hello !Thank you for using Health Care Magic .
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern .

Mycoplasma Genitalium it's a STD ( Sexually transmitted Diseases ) so it may be a chance you can take it through unprotected oral sex when you are the active one and the other patner is a carrier of this Mycoplasma.
Could be symptomatic ( you may have symptoms ) or symptomatic ( means that even you don't have symptoms you may have it.)

If you have any symptoms of a possible active infection you should do a swab test (throat,penis).

Hope i have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, I will be happy to help.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 5 minutes later
Hello i have done 3 swab tests at the gum clinic and was told negative under microscope .My symptoms are urge to wee all the time and sperm like discharge im boxers only after i wee
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to do another test

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
You have the symptoms of a urinary tract infection that may be cause by a STD.
The microscope test can not detect this mycoplasma , it's not the test that we use, it's not enough, so of course that will be negative even if you had it.
You need to do a NAAT test (nucleic acid amplification test ) thats a PCR test method, this is the only that can detect this bacteria .
Remember that you need to be tested for other STD also (Gonorhea,Chlamydia ..).

Another way how to act if the clinic can not do the test is by starting the antibiotic treatment after we rule ut any other STD .Start with Azithromicin and see how your body wi react.

Hope this is helpful.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 16 minutes later
Have been tested for uti twice which came back negative have ordered a pcr test so will see what happens
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for the test

Detailed Answer:
Good !
The test will rule outl infection(UTI) from Mycoplasma.
Meanwhile drink planty of water ( at least 8 glasses /day, stop sexual intercourse until you get the result.
.
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 13 minutes later
The dr did send a uti test away fir bacteria to grow and said it came back fine so now im sending off a mycoplasma test had 3 sti tests which was also negative .I did have discharge and urge to go a few weeks ago ..... it went away after i stopped stressing then i panicked and it came back
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
The culture test is reliable for other STD but for this kind of Mycoplasma is not because it can not grow in the culture in the laboratory .
The symptoms sometimes may go away and come back.
I would reccomend to do the PCR test to rule out ,it's better to be checked and to be 100%sure you do not have the Mycoplasma.

Take Care !

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Thank you now just to cope woth the anxiety !
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Care

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome!
Wish you good health.
Take Care !