Is Minocycline hydrochloride safe for VDRL cure?

Posted on Wed, 9 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: hello doc!! I am 27 years old n today I wen for hiv n vdrl test n my hiv report is negative but my vdrl report is reactive with dilution 1:8 n this medicine minocycline hydrochloride capsule u.s.p. 100mg is given is it safe,is vdrl cureable ,does vrdl form hiv
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detail follows Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcaremagic. I have read your query and understood your concern. VDRL test is meant for syphilis. 1:8 or more that this is taken as significant. In such cases, usually repeat titres are advised after 2 weeks. If there are rising titres, it is considered as significant. And for this, injection penicillin is the drug of choice which if taken helps in curing the disease. HIV test if negative is also repeated after 3 months so as to exclude the window period in which the test is always negative. VDRL cannot form HIV as these two are entirely different diseases . But the tests are done together just to rule out associated diseases. I hope it helps. If you have further query, you may ask me. Good luck.
Dr. Anshul Varshney