• question-icon

Is Mifegest kit taken orally effective for abortion?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Should i take misoprostal mifgest orally
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken orally.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Generally, 1 tablet of Mifepristone - mifegest is taken orally.
24 hours later, 2 tablets of 200 mcg Cytotec - misoprostal are taken orally or vaginally followed by 2 more such tablets another 24 hours later.
After this procedure, bleeding and cramping might start within 24 - 48 hours, and continue for upto 2 - 3 weeks.
It is also vital to have a follow up ultrasound scan to check that the abortion pills worked and the uterus is empty, after 15 days of taking the tablets.
Failing to take these precautions , there are risks such as - infection, uncontrolled bleeding, retained products, undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy etc.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN