Is HIV test done 4 months after exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 38 years male. I have unprotected sex with Commercial Sex worker on May 2014. After one week started granular pharyngitis with dry cough. After one year still it continues. Not for a single day I got relief.
I tested for HIV 27th September 2014 (CMIA 3rd Gen), then 28th December 2014 (CMIA 3rd Gen), then 4th January 2015 (Tri dot method). All negative.

Question 1. Are the test results conclusive? Is there any chance of HIV despite the negative result. (I did not have any further exposure).
Question 2. I did the test in XXXXXXX private pathology lab called XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and Tri dot test from a local lab. Are these labs reliable?
Question 3. I did one more test on 4th August 2015 from Dr. Lal path Lab. It was 4th Generation test with Index value 0.1. Result negative. Is it a reliable pathology laboratory? I gave blood sample in XXXXXXX before lunch. Received result online next day evening. They said the test was done in New XXXXXXX
Question 4. I did not consult with any HIV specialist, did all test by myself approached to lab. Are these results reliable?

Very much under stress.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are 100% HIV negative. No further tests advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM
I understand your concern and situation

1. Firstly I would advise you that you have taken sufficient HIV tests. In the patients with high risk tests done after 6 months post exposure are considered conclusive. Yes your tests are also conclusive. No there is no probability of HIV infection.
2. Yes HIV tests done in pathologies even private are done according to norms. Yes they are conclusive.
3. Yes as per report from Lal path which is reputed lab your test is negative. The value below 1.0 is negative.
4.Yes HIV tests can be taken voluntarily. Yes tests are 100% reliable. Do not worry.
Practice safe sex practices in further.
Stay healthy.

Hope I answered your query
Rating and review will be appreciated
Dr Sheetal Verma
Infectious diseases Specialist
HIV Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 38 minutes later
Is lal path lab reliable? I need an honest opinion. I read in Internet there are many people saying lal path lab generating fake report?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I think most of the pathologies are honest in reporting HIV including lal path. But if you are not satisfied. Then you can visit the ICTC center in government hospital which do free testing under NACO.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 17 minutes later
Do you feel lal path lab is reliable
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes I feel it is reputed. Don't worry.