question-icon

Is HCG diet safe to take for weight loss?

Posted on Thu, 31 Jul 2014
Question: I have pkd and am stage 3, but stable and in relatively good health. I need to lose about 75 pounds, and am considering an hcg diet monitored by a physician. Is this safe for me? I'm trying to lose the weight in anticipation of transplant which is down the road in about 3-5 years.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
hCG diet has no proven scientific basis and is not approved by modern medicine or FDA.

hCG is a hormone which stimulates ovaries or testes to produce sex hormones. It is important not to embark on any non approved treatment regimen especially as you have kidney disease. The safety of this is not been studied. hCG diet put you on a very low calorie diet along with hCG injections.

It is important for you to maintain good nutrition in balanced way. In chronic kidney disease, you should keep your haemoglobin above 10 ,should be on a good calcium and vitamin D diet. This is important for good health and for bones. People with kidney disease often develop weak bones due to high parathyroid hormones.

You should consult your dietician attached to nephrology department who can advice you how to lose weight in a systematic way.

Binu

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist