Is Gabapentin approved for treatment of opiate withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can gabapentin help with the methadone withdrawal abdominal cramps?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it may help,though FDA not approved,some studies have shown effectiveness

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Gabapentin is not approved by FDA for treatment of opiate withdrawal symptoms. However I came across some questions on this website in which few patients have felt improvement with gabapentin in opiate withdrawal.

There are some studies also suggestive of effectiveness of gabapentin in opiate withdrawal and you can find the same in below mentioned link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000

No specific study for gabapentin use in methadone withdrawal but methadone itself an opioid so it is going to be effective likely.
In your case chances are there that your cramps improve with gabapentin.

You can take gabapentin according to your treating doctor's guidance.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj