• question-icon

Is ECT treatment effective in treating depression?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have MDD and just completed TMS but to little avail. My doctor and I have made the decision to try ECT. How long should the waiting time be be between these the procedures and , overall, what is the success success with ECT? With ECT, how long before I begin to feel improvements??

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no need for any interval between rTMS and ECT

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I am sorry to know that help offered with rTMS treatment was limited and there is consideration for ECT.

ECT is treatment which is recommended for treatment resistant depression and there is no need fro any gap before you start treatment with ECT. The only gap required is general medical check up and anesthetic assessment which may take couple of days in most settings.

Regarding the success rate I like to communicate that it is time tested and most effective treatment available for treatment resistant depression. The scientific literature is abundant to say that almost 80 to 95 % of individuals respond positively with ECT when it comes to MDD.

Regarding required length of perceived effect most individuals with MDD start showing effect by second or third session. By fourth session there is almost 50 % or more effect.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist