Is CT scan an effective method to detect recurrent bladder cancer?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I had bladder cancer 10 years ago and have annual check ups . 3 weeks ago I had a cystoctomy and they found a recurrence 3mm , last recurrannce was two years ago . I am awaiting consultation and all previous 3 over last 10 years have been superficial . I am concerned as been asked to attend ct scan. Can't get any answers from nhs until consultation on 28th October . Is ct scan standard procedure or did biopsy show it was invasive ... Any help please
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes CT Scan is the Gold Standard to see the metastatic disease.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

Biopsy only shows the histologic structure of the specimen i.e what is it made of (the cell types and the their grade of cancer-the level of differentiation from normal to cancerous cells).

But to see if the tumor has spread to other parts of the body or not (the metastasis) we have to go for the CT Scanning. It shows if there are metastasis of the tumor or not.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Write down my name in the start of your question always & I will be with you sooner).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T