Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I was diagnosed with strep throat a little over a week ago, and was given amoxicillan. Mythroat is better but I also have a cough. Will amoxicillan work?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
You should continue with amoxicillin. Along with this take tablet vitamin c once daily and take steam inhalation and use hexidine gargles.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat? 46 minutes later
I only have 1 more day of amoxicillan. I developed a cough about a day or so after I saw the doctor, and am still coughing with a constant tickle in back of throat. My concern is the cough. Is this normal to develop. It seems that I am coughing more, and also when I blow my nose quite a bit of white mucus comes out. Is this all normal to develop? Will antibiotic continue to work after finishing it?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is usually to develop cough in a sore throat die to post nasal drip or throat dryness. You should take a combination of levocetrizine plus phenylepherine twice daily and a cough syrup.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription
Follow the rest of advise as well.

Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat? 49 minutes later
I have never heard of those medications. Are they antibiotics? Called Doctors office this morning. They just said it will take time for cough to go away. I wanted to go in and make sure my lungs were still clear, but they didn't think that was necessary and to just finish the antibiotic. What are your thoughts on this? What cough syrup do you recommend? I am taking Robitussin DM.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The medicine i have prescribed is a decongestant and anti allergic combination. It will help to relive the symptoms faster. Continue with the antibiotic and the cough syrup.
In case the cough persists for more than 3 weeks than you should get a chest examination done otherwise there is no need.
The cough will be relieved in few days.
Follow the other measures for a quicker relief.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat? 41 minutes later
I have finished the antibiotic. Should I go back to the Doctor and have him recheck my lungs or just wait it out? Should I be overly concerned about this?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Please tell me what symptoms are you having his after the completion of medicine.
Your problem does not seem to be related to lungs still tell me your symptoms so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat? 14 hours later
I stillhave the cough. Sometimes loose sometimes dry. When I do blow my nose a lot of mucus comes out. mucus is white.Also I have chafing underneath my lower lip.

Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses and cheat xray done and take steam inhalation.
Cough is probably due to post nasal drip caused by nasal secretions but if cough persists more than 3 weeks it is must to get any chest pathology ruled out.
For lower lip lesions, please send me the picture so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Is Amoxicillin an effective medication for cough while treating strep throat? 4 hours later
I coudn't get a good picture. It is just dry and chafed. I started using aquiphor which is supposed to be good for chafing.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral lesion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If you are sure that it is just chafing, you continue with aquiphor. It will heal in few days.
Maintain oral hygiene and avoid spicy food and aerated drinks.
Thanks and regards