Is Acyclovir IV infusion an effective drug for herpes infection?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I heard about antiviral intravenous injection for herpes, what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
IV is reserved for special cases...

Detailed Answer:

there is a choice to administer IV treatment (acyclovir, the same drug that the patient may get by mouth) to special cases like immunosuppression with disseminated disease and/or eye disease. Another reason to try IV treatment is intolerance to oral treatment.

Iv treatment is not indicated in prolonged disease, unless the aforementioned conditions apply.

Kind Regards!