Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods, more hair growth in hands and legs. Are hormone reports normal, how to overcome this ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
I am 25 years old(female - unmarried), having irregular periods (menstural cycles) for the past 2 months.
And the hair growth is more in hands and legs and a dermotologist asked me to do some hormone tests.
Below are the hormone test results.
Specimen     TestName     Result     Units
     17 – Hydroxy Progesterone     2.00     Ng/ml
Fluride Plasma     Blood sugar (F)     70     Mg/dl
Fluride Plasma     Blood Sugar(PP)     90     Mg/dl
Serum     DHEAS     0.7      Ug/dl
Serum     FREE Testosterone     7.10     Pg/ml
Serum     FSH     6.64     mIU/ml
Serum     LH     14.56     mIU/ml
Serum     Prolactin     12.64     Ng/ml
Serum     Insulin Fast     8.46     mIU/L
Serum     Insulin(PP)     20.00     mIU/L

How to overcome this problem? Is all my hormone levels are normal? Do I need to go for any medication further or any other tests?

Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 16 hours later
Different labs have different reference range and its always good to quote that.
Your LH and free testosterone appears elevated.
Your 17 OHP is borderline on the higher side.
You need to see an Endocrinologist to do tests for Adrenal Glands.
Most likely you have polycystic ovaries.(PCO)
PCO pateints have problems like irregualr cycles hair growth increasing weight difficulty in getting pregnant
Long term problems can be high BP, sugar, cholesterol etc.
Its important to reach a diagnosis and treat it.
Life style modification in the form of Low carb diet and exercises are required.
Once an adrenal cause is excluded please get in touch again.
Meanwhile do a pelvic ultrasound for PCO.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor