Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods and having hot flashes. What could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1031 Questions
I am a 54 year old female, and usually have regular periods. I am now having a period after 2 weeks from the last one - unusual for me. I have been having hot flashes, mainly at night, for at least 5 years; they don't bother me. The last few days, I find my lower arms and wrists "going asleep" with the slightest pressure. I am going to see my doctor in a couple of weeks and get a pap test. I have not gotten a pap test for about 5 years. Otherwise, I am okay!
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Some suggestions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. Most women stop menstruation by this age due to menopause, or at least have very scanty & irregular periods. So, your pattern of bleeding is of concern, although individual variations do occur. This is a good idea to have a pap smear test. This should be done every 3 years (at least), if all previous reports were normal. But, more important for you is to have one Trans-vaginal ultrasound to have a look at your ovaries & thickness of your womb lining. It is very important to rule out malignancy with menstrual irregularity in a woman of your age. This will be followed by Endometrial sampling after Gynecologist opinion. Hot flushes indicate diminishing ovarian function. Which do not get well along with your frequent cycles. So, investigations are indicated. Your "Numbness" is not a good sign. At least you should give more stress on Blood pressure control. A physician's review is mandatory to optimize Blood pressure control. Better to take Vitamin B complex to help with your numbness. Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor