Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Injured eyes with resistant band, applied ice and eye drops. Redness in eyes. Should I go to doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14912 Questions
I got injured my eyes with a resistant band in my eyes yesterday nite, so I did applied ice and regular eyes drops for redness relief . I am in pain but my eyes are extremely red but I have no problem with my vision .I should go to the doctor for antibiotics ? I am taking ibupropen also
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

You should consider going to see someone though your vision is not impaired.

Trauma to the eye is classified as penetrating or blunt. Your trauma would be called blunt eye trauma.
There are possible complications to blunt eye trauma..They include: (1) hyphema which is bleeding in the anterior or front part of the eye. It is detected by the doctor who would determine the extent of the bleeding and check for any problems that can occur as a result of it. It is usually managed by restricting movement ( bed rest), no reading and a referral to an opthalmologist, a protective shield is placed over the eye and eye drops are also given.
Persons with this may have blurred vision in the presence of bright light.

(2) Subconjunctival hemorrhage which is bleeding just under the conjunctiva which is the lining that covers the eye. It is not usually associated with any other symptoms and resolves within a few days

(3) other possible complications include retinal detachment and traumatic glaucoma.
Retinal detachment is a condition where the retina which is at the back of the eye can become detached, it can be partial or complete. It is usually associated with floaters ( seeing these objects appear to float in the eye) or flashes of light. It is diagnosed by seeing a doctor who will refer to a specialist.
Glaucoma is increased pressure in the eye, this can occur in some cases of trauma.

Even though the redness may just be subconjunctival hemorrhage which will resolve on its own , because of the possibility of more serious problems you should be evaluated.
The doctor will take the history and look in the back of the eye

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor