Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Information on pregnancy with a bicournate uterus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7228 Questions
hi can you please tell me any information you know of about pregnancy with a bicournate uterus please
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Bicornuate uterus was earlier thought to cause infertility but recent studies did not prove that. Pregnancy with a bicornuate uterus has the following complications:
---Increased risk of pregnancy loss--while a septate uterus is often misdiagnosed as a bicornuate uterus, and is responsible for recurrent abortions, a bicornuate uterus can lead to term pregnancies. The degree of malformation can determine a pregnancy reaching full-term.
---Increased risk of preterm labor--about 15% - 25% ---usually caused by the restricted uterine volume when the pregnancy begins to grow toward one of the horns and a shortened cervix is a good predictor for the risk.
----Malpresentations--a breech presentation is seen in almost half of pregnancies with a partial anomaly and is nil in a complete bicornuate uterus. Other malpresentation that may be seen is a transverse presentation.
---Deformities--Malformations or deformities are more likely in offspring born to mothers with a bicornuate uterus.

As the diagnosis is mostly made during pregnancy, no active intervention is done in the majority and watchful expectancy is followed with early intervention. If the diagnosis is made before conception, laparoscopic reconstruction may be tried at expert hands.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Information on pregnancy with a bicournate uterus? 1 hour later
i know i have a complete bicornuate uterus and my uterus is in two parts i have basicly 2 of everything and have ha 4 misscarridges since may last year this is my first pregnancy since,
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If you mean that you have total separation of the uterus, cervix and the vagina due to complete failure of fusion, well, the cause of the miscarriages could possibly be due to lodging on the thinnest part of the uterine wall or due to decreased area for growth. If the miscarriages occurred in mid-trimester, you should suspect cervical incompetence as the cause because, in many cases of bicornuate uterus there is an association of short cervix which could be used as a guide to predict problems.

You did not say at what period of pregnancy your previous miscarriages happened and at what stage of pregnancy you are in now. If you have passed by your risk period, then it is likely that your pregnancy would go on to term. You would need regular monitoring and watchful expectancy. You should take at least 2 hours of bed rest during the day and 8 hours of rest during the night. Please avoid sexual intercourse as your pregnancy is very precious and also avoid any form of stress.

Hope I have answered your doubt. Please get back if you have any more questions. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor