question-icon

Infant with cold and fever had orange mucus in watery poop. On formula feed. What is the cause?

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013
Question: 9 week old with cold has orange/red mucus on watery poop diaper. Has had cold for a week, no fever. First occurrence this morning. The dirty diaper was thinner in consistency with a lot of curds. Infant is formula fed.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Acute diarrheal disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Infants(Child under 1 year) who are under formula feeds are prone to develop diarrhea. Past week of cold indicates that the diarrhea is due to viral infection. The most feared things are dehydration(water loss from the body) and secondary bacterial infection. In this situation my advice would be to continue oral feeds to compensate the water loss. Consult a pediatrician. He will help with the treatment and alway advise you on vaccination if needed. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Basheer Ahamed

Diabetologist