Owl Image

Infant is on farex since birth and getting colic pain. Is it safe to give colicaid?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
hi doc
i have a 4 & a half month old baby boy who is on farex feed since his birth he weighs 6 kgs now...he cries a lot during day and nights bcos of colic pain, we hardly sleep at nights, few doctors advise to give medicine while few are against. It is affecting his intake of milk also, gas irritates him..We are confused, pls advise Is it safe to give him 10 drops of colicaid when he cries or as a precaution ? Are there any side affects now or in future ? There is a lot of confusing info on the net. I request you to pls guide.
XXXXXXX
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 59 minutes later

I appreciate your concern; baby is having evening colic, which usually starts by 3 to 4 weeks of age, and sometimes persists until 4 to 5 months of age. In addition, it is seen normally in 30% of babies.

It is benign and self-limiting in nature. You need not to worry as your baby is gaining appropriate weight as per his age.

I suggest you to keep baby in prone position most of the time as it helps in expulsion of gases, but baby should not be left unattended.

You can use colicaid drops only at times when he is fussier but not on regular basis.

Oral glucose water sometimes helps.

Wishing your baby good health.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question i will be happy to help.

God bless.

Follow-up: Infant is on farex since birth and getting colic pain. Is it safe to give colicaid? 1 hour later
Hi Doc !!
Extremely impressed by your quick and apt response, also grt to know that u r from the part which I also belong to.
Just to add on, u advsd to give colicaid when required, however there is always a need to give it, as he cries uncontrollably which is quite difficult to ignore, also it happens many times a day n majorly during nights. Is there any alternative u can advise which can be given at will and is not addictive.
Due to this colic pain, his intake of milk has reduced, now he takes 3-4 oz a day, whereas normally he takes 10-12 oz a day, if this persists, this may affect his health till he gets 5 months old, as u said colic subsides after 4-5 months on its own.
He also has nasal congestion only, for which we give nasoclear drops, hope its fine.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Thanks again.
As you said his intake has reduced that is a matter of concern for which i advise you to get him examined by a pediatrician,so as to rule out other causes of excessive crying.
I suggest you to switch over to soy formula and give neopeptine drops .
For nose block continue with saline nasal drops 5 to 10 min before feeding.

If you do not have any clarification you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you and your family good health.
God bless.