Infant got head injury and started giggling. Should I be worried for brain haemorrhage?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: seven weeks ago eight month old baby born two months XXXXXXX banged her head on hardwood floor slight pink XXXXXXX cried for couple mins then started giggling did not pass out as far as i can see was not sick etc im still concerned tho no other signs as far as i am aware since then i just feel so guilty you here alarming stuff like brain haemorragib=ng she seems fine cant sit up on her own just yet nearly 10 months now
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Please do not feel guilty.
I understand your concern as a vigilant and caring parent .
It doesn't seem likely that your baby has had any severe injury or XXXXXXX haemorrhage due to the accident . In case of brain haemorrhage child usually develops symptoms within 24 hours of injury like vomiting , convulsion , fever, neurological weakness etc.
In some cases chronic hematomas are possible but in that case too baby usually has symptoms.
As for achieving the milestones do not compare a preterm baby's milestones with a normal baby as they are bound to have some physiological lag.However considering her corrected age to be at least 8 months ( since two months preterm) she should be at least have achieved sitting with support . Most babies can sit up independently by the time they are 8 months. At around 6 months, your baby may have had start sitting in a tripod position, but may not be able to sit upright without flopping over. If your baby cannot even sit in this position or with support then you need to get her evaluated by her pediatrician to rule out any muscular or neurological weakness.
If your baby is sitting with support and is not able to sit independently then you should just wait and watch for another month or so and she's likely to achieve her milestones by then.
In any case ,for your satisfaction it's always better to get your baby examined by your pediatrician regularly to check her growth and development .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her good health .