In CBC report Eosinophils and Basophils seems low in reference range. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: I had a CBC done and everything was "in range", however when I looked at Eosinophils, % it was 0.8 (reference range is 0-8%) and Basophils,% was 0.2 (reference range is 0-2%). The Eosinophils, Absolute was 78 (ref 15-500 cells/mcl) and Basophils, Absolute was 20 (ref range was 0-200 cells/mcl). I understand that technically this is "in range", but the numbers seem low to me. Is this something to be concerned with?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: No reason to worry at all Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. These cells are not that essential in blood. They are mostly located in tissues, that too in small numbers. More is not necessarily better and may cause problems. The percentages and absolute numbers in you are perfectly fine. I don't see any reason for concern. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 minutes later
Thanks for your quick reply. I have attached the CBC report, to give you a better picture. I just want to make sure everything is OK. I also had a full STD screening, HIV 1-2 EIA (non-reactive/No WB required), Syphilis (non-reactive) and HSV 1 (positive, I've had cold sores since I was a kid) and HSV 2 (negative). I have been under tremendous stress recently and I just wanted to make sure there is no underlying condition
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Everything appears to be fine Detailed Answer: Thanks for uploading the report. Now I am even more certain that there is nothing to worry. Regards