Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Identical twins, suffering from bilateral nystagmus, premature babies, eyes moving horizontally with bounce. Will they outgrow this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 101 Questions
My 3 1/2 month identical twin sons seem to have bilateral nystagmus. Both babies have this. They were 5 weeks premature. Their eyes move horizontally, and occassionally bounce. Is this normal? And, will they grow out of this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Nystagmus, a condition in which the eye has rhythmic and involuntary movement or oscillation, is often caused by an underlying neurological or ocular disorder. Congenital, or infantile, nystagmus will appear in the first few months of life and usually affects both eyes in a horizontal direction. This condition does not occur while the child is sleeping.

There are two primary types of nystagmus that occur in infants. Congenital nystagmus is present at birth, and is typically diagnosed quickly after birth. Latent or manifest latent nystagmus is not present at birth, but develops later during infancy.

Congenital nystagmus is the less severe form, and typically does not significantly impact learning or academic performance. Eye movements are usually not noticeable in infants with congenital nystagmus, although this condition does sometimes affect visual acuity.
Latent or manifest latent nystagmus is considered more severe, and can more significantly impact the infant's ability to process visual stimuli.

Latent or manifest latent can be caused by inner ear infections and disorders, head injuries and certain medications such as sedatives. In rare cases, brain tumors and other brain diseases can contribute to the development of nystagmus.

Since your twins were born premature, they would need to be evaluated for retinopathy of prematurity(ROP) which is quite a common condition in premature babies.

I would recommend you to consult a pediatric ophthalmologist, who will do a thorough examination and will be able to guide you better.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor