Suggest treatment for retinopathy of prematurity

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Mar 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my infant son aged six months has been diagonosed as having total closed funnel retinal detachment. he has been diagnosed as peripaplillary chorodial thickness as 0d 1.7 mm, os 1.3 mm, also definite lens echo not noted. axl 0d 11.6 mm, os 11.2mm, no e/o mass lesion /t sign.
he was premature born at 27 weeks with 860 gms weight.

will he able to see???
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This indicates retinopathy of prematurity.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history.
I can understand your concerns.

The findings mentioned by you in the history indicate retinopathy of prematurity.
The findings suggest advanced stage of the disease.
The presence of closed funnel detachment is usually associated with poor prognosis.

But still I will advice you to consult your ophthalmologist preferably a retinal specialist for evaluation of the affected eye as well as the other eye.
The visual prognosis is very much guarded but still trying with the treatment options is worth a try.
Hence I advice you to consult your retina specialist for further evaluation and advice accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards