• question-icon

I was scheduled for knee surgery so they did pre

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I was scheduled for knee surgery so they did pre surgery testing. They said that my ekg was abnormal so they wanted to do another one. They said that was abnormal too so they want me to see a cardiologist for clearance. Because I may have had a heart attack. One cardiologist at the hospital signed the one as a new septal infarct compared to another ekg in march but I don't have a copy of that ekg. I have had several different opinions from cardiologists and doctors on my ekgs. I had been in the hospital in march due to 2 episodes of chest and arm pain. But they did tests and said it was normal. All my ekgs always showed up normal. Until this month. Now doctors seems concerned and I have no idea who to believe because they all say different things. So I figured I'd ask a critical care doctor. I uploaded an ekg from January labeled (img) and then the 2 I had done recently. Does anything look abnormal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild infarct is present.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen all the three attached reports. The recent EKG suggests a mild septal infarct which was not present in the previous EKG. You need an Echo and a few medicines to know the exact cardiac status before the surgery. The infarct may have developed slowly or sometimes the changes in EKG are late to appear. Do consult a cardiologist for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Which ekg shows a septal infarct? The one says septal and the other says possible anterior. Are they the same? I don't understand why there are so many different opinions on these ekgs. Some say it is an infarct others say it's not. So if it wouldn't be an infarct what could cause ekg changes? What medications are you speaking of? To take daily or just for testing?

Oh also 2 other doctors said something about possible brugada syndrome? Do you see that?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Echo needed to confirm.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The EKG done on 13th July shows a mild septal infarct. Anterior infarct refers to the anterior cardiac wall. A mild electric impulse variation changes the interpretation. The reading can change with breathing and slight movement too. Echo can confirm any infarct or septal wall defect. The medicines if needed will have to be taken daily and not for testing only.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon