I have been suffering with a cold for five weeks

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been suffering with a cold for five weeks and am getting tired of it. I am in good general health, average weight and had may colds over the years but never anything like this. Is there more going on than "just a cold"?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably just common cold,follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I already reviewed the attached report.

In my opinion your symptoms seem to be related to a common cold.

A lack of immune system can trigger the symptoms.

I already reviewed the medication that you are using and the treatment is correct.

I recommend using anti inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.

I also recommend using a vitamin C supplement to boost the immune system.

I suggest drinking liquids and rest a lot.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 21 hours later
Thank you Dr. Gurabardhi for your advice. For the last two days my temperature has been around 100.4. I believe that I might have been infected by 2 or 3 strains of the cold virus over the course of 5 weeks to make the symptoms last that long. The fact that I now have a fever leads me to believe a flu virus might be at work within me. Your comment "A lack of immune system can trigger the symptoms" concerns me. I have a complete blood analysis done each fall at my annual GP appointment and nothing is ever out of the ordinary. I would be having this discussion with him now but the first available appointment is weeks into the future. My other local option is to go to the hospital ER but I have already done that and was told I had a cold and sent home. After five weeks i believe there must be more to it. How do I proceed to investigate a bacterial infection or an immune system problem?
Thank you for your service, XXXXXXX Aardema
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some examinations are recommended for further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I understand your concern.

I would recommend some examinations for further evaluation of the immune system.

I suggest:

A white blood cell count

T cell count

Immunoglobulin levels

After the examinations, you can contact me again for further assistance, if needed.

Wishing you all the best.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee