I have been experiencing a stiff neck for two weeks.

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been experiencing a stiff neck for two weeks. Also I have dull head pain located on top of my and and occasionally in the back of my head. My scalp is also tender to the touch
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ibuprofen...

Detailed Answer:

You did not report other symptoms. It includes only physical exercise and body fitness. In this circumstance, I will suggest to treat with over the counter pain medication like motrin and otogesic eye drops few days.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 49 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. I don’t have any other symptoms right now. My head pain comes and goes and heat helps my neck stiffness. The pain is also in different places in my head.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'd request for some more information...

Detailed Answer:
Before I can provide my opinion, i would like some more information from your end.

You mentioned the symptoms have been there for 2 weeks. Are the symptoms persistent all through out the day for 2 weeks (Or) is it an intermittent episodes of dull headache + neck stiffness?
How do you feel after advil / motrin tablets? Do you feel better?
Have you experienced similar symptoms in the past?
Do you have any previous medical illness such as hypertension?

I look forwards to your answers...

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
The symptoms are persistent and occur throughout the day and evening. Medicine doesn’t seem to help much. Right now the pain is located near my right temple and the right rear of my head. Also the right side of my face has a pulsating feeling to it. The neck stiffness continues. I do suffer from high blood pressure and I am a high stress person. I hope this helps!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few possibilities needs consideration...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for providing those details.

The closest and most probable reason that explains most of your symptoms is cervical spondylitis. Here there is inflammation / wear and tear damage of the cervical spine. Sometimes the changes happening results in cervical nerves getting involved resulting in most of the symptoms you described. A detailed cervical examination followed by MRI scan of the neck will help us rule out this condition.

Besides cervical spondylitis / spondylosis, rarely inflammation of blood vessels (arteries) results in pain in and around neck, temple, rear of the head and face. Stress and anxiety may also cause these symptoms, however we will be able to diagnose stress related event only after ruling out other causes.

Therefore in my opinion, I would suggest you to see a neurologist. Cervical spine examination should also be carried out and if there is a need an orthopedic doctor can be brought on board.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 53 minutes later
Thank you for the information. One final question is what could be some early symptoms of a brain aneurysm?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most often it is diagnosed incidentally...

Detailed Answer:

Intracranial aneurysm (brain aneurysm) is often diagnosed incidentally. They do not produce symptoms unless they are large or it is a ruptured aneursym. Unruptured large aneursym is known to cause severe headache with or without nausea and vomiting. Small ones do not cause any symptoms.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Thank you for all of your answers!!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome...

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome...

If your questions are all answered, kindly close the discussion.