Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

182 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have Chronic Urinary Retention & have continual chronic infections.

Answered by
Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2016

Answered : 1077 Questions

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have Chronic Urinary Retention & have continual chronic infections. I have been to doctors & urologist. I am on antibiotics, but still sick & miserable. Strip test shows infection still. What do I do?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do you have an infravesical obstruction?

Detailed Answer:
Hi Inez4949,

Do you have an infravesical obstruction? In males, this is often caused by prostate hyperplasia. In females, it may be pelvic organ prolapse. Have you tried intermittent catheterization? What are your symptoms? Pain, fever?

Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 28 minutes later
I wrote in my extended question that I only have a #2 prolapse of bladder, but I do have a rectocele. The Urologist did not mention self-catherterization & I do NOT want to do self-catheterization!!!! I would much prefer surgery! I never have a fever w/ these infections, but feel SO sick w/ flu-like symptoms, that take me down for a wk. I, also, repeat that these infections have come on like gang-busters since I had my hysterectomy 8-1-18 (6 in 3 months since surgery). I have pressure & pain in my bladder area & headaches overall body aches & lethargic The Flomax works after I take in in the mornings, but retention returns late afternoon/evening. I must push hard, over & over again to get out every drop I can.
I was living in NW PA & was going to a great urogynecologist(he catheretized me & I was retaining 3 cups of urine at the time. Also, we did a PVR 2 day study & urodynamics test) who was going to do my hysterectomy, rework my bladder muscles & repair rectocele. Unfortunately I was forced to move away before surgery. I went to XXXXXXX for hysterectomy by a horrible gynecologist who said there was nothing wrong w/ my bladder???? I allowed him to operate b/c I had HPV precancerous cells that had spread to my cervix. I do NOT understand why these doctors down here do NOT seem to care. I fight depression each & every day along w/ being so sick. How do I find a urologist who will take my condition seriously?
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 7 minutes later
Wait, I just noticed the patient profile states NOTHING that I filled out previous to sending my question/dilemma. It doesn't show, either, all the other information it asked for & I wrote before sending. I do NOT understand. If I am paying A.D.A.M. than you should be getting ALL my info.......
I repeat, I am a 69 yr old female retired widow, living in Aiken, SC since 6-1-18. I have been so sick since moving here that I have not felt like even getting out of the house except to attempt to find doctors who will help me; NOT!
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am sure it will all work out

Detailed Answer:
Hi again Inez4949,

I am sorry to hear about all of your troubles, and I understand if you feel completely exhausted.
From what you describe, you could have pelvic organ prolapse, where the descent of your pelvic organs during the Valsalva maneuver (voiding) pushes down on your urethra.

If the flomax is of use in morning, there is nothing wrong in taking a second dose 12 hours later and see, if this helps alleviate your symptoms during the evening and night.
Furthermore, it sounds like you had a great relationship with your previous urogynecologist, I suggest you ask him/her about the possibilities of seeing him/her again. Surgery definitely sounds like a relevant possibility, and it should probably be a joint venture between a urologist, gynecologist, and colorectal surgeon.

Hope this helps, please do not hesitate to write again, if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on