question-icon

I had pancreatic cancer and had my pancreas removed. I

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2019
Question: I had pancreatic cancer and had my pancreas removed. I want to get some nutrition advice. I eat two eggs every morning. I read too much egg is not good. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Just a myth.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing'Ask a doctor' service to ask your query,
Have gone through your details and I can very well understand your problem.
As your query is direct I would jump to answer directly.
The major digestive enzymes made by the pancreas include-
Pancreatic proteases (such as trypsin and chymotrypsin) - which help to digest proteins- Each whole egg contains about 6 to 8 gram of protein while egg White contains 3gram.
Pancreatic amylase - which helps to digest sugars (carbohydrates) egg don't contain carbohydrate so nothing to worry about it.
Pancreatic lipase - which helps to digest fat-As you are having whole egg the yolk contains lots of fat and cholesterol.
Now lets move to answer if you are able to digest the eggs and there is no smell of rotten eggs, excess gas formation, constipation or loose motion and your stools does not seems to be coated with layer of fat(too sticky unformed foul smelling) you can have it. This directly means you are digesting fats and protein very well.
However in case you feel any of the above symptoms add protease and lipase containing enzyme supplements in your diet.
If you are digesting egg properly then it's just a myth that eggs are not good for you.
Infact your body will give you the best answer. Everything which it digests easily is meant for you.
Hope i was straightforward and clear to understand.
Follow ups are welcome.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist