Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

I am diabetic. Having pain in mid back along ribs. I am worried about kidney problem. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
hi, i have been having pain in my mid back along the ribs im worried about kidney problems im a diabetic i go to a chir. but it has not gotten any better it is making it hard to move ,bend over without pain even riding in the car is painful
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

There could be various reasons for this kind of discomfort and pain. The common ones are:

>Muscular pain: At times when muscle gets pulled due to any reason this can happen.
>Some thing related to kidney like: stone somewhere in urinary system, infection etc.

If you are having any urinary complains like frequency, urgency, difficulty in urination etc, kidney cause is more likely.

Do not worry, take some rest, and apply analgesic over the area. You can take analgesic tablet also, which are comfortable with.

Normally if it is muscular pain you should feel better with above measures.

In case the problem still persists and pain increase, it is better that you consult a doctor and get your self examined. After examination you may be asked some investigations like urine examination, ultrasound to have some more information.

Continue light diet and medicines as advised.

I hope helps and clarify your concern.

If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied, please take a moment to leave feedback!



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I am diabetic. Having pain in mid back along ribs. I am worried about kidney problem. Concerned 11 hours later
ive tried most of what you said the thing is it has gone on for 3 months now sometimes getting some better but if i over do it comes back full force
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is better that you consult your doctor and get your self examined.

Normal ultrasound and some blood reports will clear all doubts about kidney problems.

In case routine treatment does not help you should consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon also to look for other causes.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor