I am 43 years old and very active in sports.

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 43 years old and very active in sports. Recently I've been experiencing constipation in that I can't seem to expel my stool properly or completely. I feel bloated and experience small amounts of diarrhea with lots of gas associated with it. Also, the small bits of stool that do pass are bloody with mucus like membrane swirled in and around it. Toilet paper is very red with blood when I wipe. This has been going on for nearly a week. Could it be related to my sports/back injury?---I have also struggled with severe sharp pains in my lower back like a strained muscle during softball and/or surfing over the weekend-- could these be related? I am getting very concerned for my health---please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be an infection or ibd

Detailed Answer:
Hi TSSurfs4life,

What you describe sounds like colitis, i.e. an inflammation of your colon. It is difficult to say if it is infectious, e.g. salmonella, yersinia, or camphylobacter infection or a chronic inflammation, e.g. Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. To get closer to a diagnosis, I suggest you have stool samples for bacteria and calprotectin, and schedule for an ileocolonoscopy with biopsies soon.

If it has lasted only a few days, you can also try to wait it out and stay hydrated.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T