Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 43 Questions
Hi. My dauhgter is complaing about back pain in the spine area. She is 8 years old. Would should i do? How i can help her?
Sat, 5 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later
Hello Lenason,

Thanks for the query.

I need to know a few more details before jumping on to the diagnosis.

How long has this pain been and where exactly is it?
Did she fall or hit herself lately?
Any fever?
Is she on any medications for the same?
Any swelling/ redness in that area?
Does it pain on touching that region and how bad is the pain?
Any other problem at present or in the past?
Does she have pain elsewhere?
Is she in front of the computer for long hours?

Kindly get back to me with these answers so I can help you better. I will be available for followup queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ? 21 hours later

thank you for your respond. So far as i know she didn't had any trauma or injures. She has been complaining about back pain for about 2 month now. She is complains about pain in the spine area, today she is in pain more in the middle portion of the right side were is ribs are located. There is no redness or swollen parts on the back. She feels pain when i try to massage. She doesn't spent a lot of time on the computer (no more then 1 hour , and it not every day). She is taking only one kind of medication Singulair due to her seasonal allergy. She is taking karate and plays soccer. She is skinny and tall. Please let me know what do you think.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 4 hours later
Hi again Lenason,

I don't think this would be worrisome as it could most likely be a muscle strain or a rib trauma she had while playing or practicing Karate. But it's advisable to go for an Xray of her chest to rule out any hairline rib fracture.

If the pain is due to muscle pull or a minor rib fracture, it will subside with prescribed analgesics and you needn't worry about it.

You can mail me the X rays at YYYY@YYYY . ATTN Dr.Sangeet. kindly reply here after you send it so that I can answer here as a follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to treat back pain due to muscle strain ? 5 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Sangeet.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 11 hours later
Your welcome XXXXXXX

Wish your daughter good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor