How to treat 101 degree fever in an adult?

Question
my 21 yo daughter has 101 fever up from 100 12-18 hours ago, small cough , achy, chills , has had 800 mil of advil, not better this morning, no insurance, seems to be the flu, this all started about 24 hours ago, is tamiflu really an option at this point, shes drinking water gatorade and soup
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please try ibuprofen and paracetamol together- tamiflu is rarely needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I clearly read your question and understand your concern.

Tamiflu is a medication used for flu and is indicated in some patients but mostly in those that have chronic medical diseases, the elderly or patients that have reduced ability to fight infections due to certain immune problems or health issues. Sometimes even other patients that are young or don't have the chronic conditions might be indicated to give Tamiflu if they are not improving in 3-4 days or are getting any worse during that time.
Especially if it not the flu season in your area than the chances of this being flu is very unlikely.

I would say that your daughter being a young patient and not seeing that she suffers from chronic conditions and having the fever for less than 3 days is not going to benefit much from tamiflu and is not necessarily needed to take it as her body can easily fight it.
Meanwhile she can take ibuprofen as she is doing and also paracetamol to help with fever and body pains. Taking 800 mg of ibuprofen and paracetamol 500 mg every 6 hours (taking them together does not hurt her as they work with different mechanism). Please take ibuprofen after food as it might really make the stomach upset.
Make sure she drinks and eats frequent small amounts during the day and rests.
Flu generally gets better in 3-4 days.
If she is not getting better than she will need to see a doctor first. Sometimes the diagnosis of fever is not flu but pneumonia, tonsillitis and others. I understand that not having insurance makes it more difficult to see a doctor but if no improvement in 3-4 days or any worsening, it is safer for her to see a doctor.
So to conclude:
1. try to combine ibuprofen and paracetamol
2. make sure she drinks frequently water and other juices during the day
3. make sure she rests
4. if no improvement in 3-4 days it is safer to have her see a doctor

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to let me know if anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD