• question-icon

How to rule out thalassemia in a foetus?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi
My wife is suffering from Beta thalaseemia trait
she is 30 week pregnant.
so is there any chances of it will also occur in my baby which Is there in her womb??
am not suffering from thalassemia according to reports tested.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of disease in the baby, but 25% chance of getting the trait.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

Since you do not have any beta thalassemia trait and only your wife is the carrier, there is no chance of disease in the baby. This is because the condition is autosomal recessive in inheritance.

However, there is a 25% chance that the baby may get the trait. This is based on the sharing of genes between the parents.

Genetic testing is helpful to detect if the baby has the trait. This can be done even before birth through the blood test for fetal DNA. The decision is done by the consultant based on the requirement.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 58 minutes later
Also is it(BTT) harmful for my wife's health in long life???
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly uneventful.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Mostly the condition is uneventful. Anemia can occur and periodic monitoring for serum ferritin levels is useful. Sonogram of the abdomen helps in identifying any liver abnormality, namely the non-alcoholic fatty liver, which may occur rarely. Asthma can coexist.

Hope this helps. Please get back if you need anything else.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN