How to reduce weight?

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hello Doctor,

i am type-2 diabetic since almost 3 yrs now and am 6 feet tall and weight around 99 kgs. I am on Glycomet 800mg (twice a day).

Since i am overweight,to reduce my weight, i would like to ask you opinion/advice on following :

1> Is it safe to start brisk walking for around 30 - 45 mins in the morning on empty stomach ?
2> Since my diet is predominantly rice as i am in a foreign country (for a period of around 3 months), what vegeterian diet/alternative would you suggest instead of rice ?

If there are any questions that you would like to ask before answering, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low calorie high fiber diet, small but frequent

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Greetings.... !!!!

Weight management is an important part of diabetes management. And as mentioned in brief answer, diet and exercise both plays a vital role in controlling the blood sugar levels.

While regular exercising is important, doing so with an empty stomach may cause hypoglycemia. I would suggest you to take a glass of water with 1 tbsp. fenugreek sprouts followed by a fruit of choice 10 minutes before you start the walk or other exercises.
However, avoid the carbohydrate rich fruits like XXXXXXX sapota, custard apple, grapes, banana and ripe jackfruit. The fruits would provide the energy to carry out the activity and help maintain the blood sugar levels to avoid hypoglycemia.

Make sure that you eat food within 20 to 30 minutes of completing the exercises.

It is important for you to be careful about the glycemic load of your diet. Rice is a high GI (glycemic index) food and is to be restricted for the same reason. But if you decrease the total glycemic load of the diet then rice may be included twice in a week. To do so, add plenty of salads and raw vegetables in the diet. The fiber present in these foods would facilitate a slow release of glucose to the blood resulting in improved blood sugar management. A healthy alternative to rice is broken wheat , whole wheat which may be taken in place of boiled rice or pulav in combinations meant for a meal with rice.

Please write back for if you have further questions.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist