How to reduce belly fat?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: How to Reduce Belly???
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
low fat diet with abdominal exercises

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Greetings.... !!!!

The best and most effective way to get rid of the localized fat is a combination of low fat and low calorie diet with exercises. Cutting down on calories is essential to weight loss while exercises and active lifestyle facilitates toning of muscles and causes inch loss, thus helping you reduce the accumulated fat.

Introduce fillers containing insoluble fibers to add bulk to the diet, choose from whole grains, fresh whole fruits, raw salads and vegetable preparations. This helps in attaining satiety while consuming lesser calories. Restrict the intake of refined foods like those made with refined wheat flour. Avoid sugar wherever possible. Making way for the good protein sources like legumes, dals, milk and its products and soy in the diet also helps in cutting down the calorie intake. Protein rich foods delays the digestion time and you would not feel hungry soon.

Also, you must choose the fat wisely. Limit the intake of oil and avoid the fried foods and snacks. Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to keep up the metabolism. You may also include green tea and lemon tea to boost metabolism. Buttermilk and tender coconut water are among the other good options.

As mentioned above, in addition to the dietary modifications, exercises are equally important, especially the ones for abs. Moves like crunches, twist crunches, bicycle crunch, step hop, squats etc. are excellent to burn abdominal fat and tone the muscles. Set a time for exercise and start with simple workouts for short duration, you can slowly increase the time, frequency and intensity of the workout. This would allow the body to keep pace with the changes. Make sure that you give enough time to warm up and cooling down after each workout. Avoid lying down or sitting immediately after the meals. You may go for a light walk after lunch and dinner. Or if possible sit in Vajrasana for 15 – 20 minutes after the meals.

Avoid heavy meals after sunset and reduce the total salt intake.

I hope you find this helpful. I wish you the best of health. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to request for more information if need be.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E