How to prevent diabetes with family history of diabetes?

Diabetologist
Question
I am 48,female,how do i prevent the on set of diabeties like my grandfather i am already over weight going into menopause have reflux sore feet and feel physically unwell most days.
From childhood i have had food intolerences and had serious measles at about age 2.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper diet and active lifestyle does the job.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Dear Mam, Let me appreciate for your positive approach. To delay the onset or prevent diabetes, You need to follow the guide lines regarding Diet and exercise:

* Avoid single high concentrated meals.
* Small frequent meals more times in a day.
* Food high in fibre content like vegetables, whole pulses, fruits, etc.
Try to avoid:
Sugar, jam, syrups, honey, sweets, chocolates, fruit juices, ice creams, cold drinks, glucose drinks, cakes and pastries, sweet biscuits, puddings and protein powder with sugar.
Eat in moderation:-
Bread, chapatis, oat porridge, cornflakes (No sugar), Cheese, butter, Noodles or spaghetti, macroni, Thick soups, Milk & milk products, Chicken, lean meat, fish.

Make it a habit of brisk walking for about 30-40minutes daily.
Additionally I would also suggest you get Blood tests like fasting blood sugar test and post lunch sugar test done to know about your blood sugar levels.

Thus Good diet and active life style delays onset of diabetes.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.