question-icon

How to prevent C-DIFF and MERSA infection?

Posted on Wed, 9 Jul 2014
Question: I have been exposed to a neighbor(been in the house and caring for the dog) who has just been diagnosed with C-DIFF and MERSA. History of severe alcoholism. What should I do to protect myself?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
hand washing

Detailed Answer:
good hygiene and handwashing are paramount to prevent infection. This is what we call "contact precautions". Every time you get in contact with the infected person (hand shake, touch any potentially exposed / infected areas, including furniture) you should wash your hands with soap and water for 30 to 60 seconds. Alcohol is not enough to prevent infection.
If you develop diarrhea, you should visit your primary care physician to get tested and possibly start therapy if necessary (against C Diff). MRSA is a different story, and you may already have it on your skin without even knowing, but this bacteria may cause severe blood stream infections, cellulitis, etc. So if you feel anything unusual you should visit your doctor.

At this time you don't need to take any medications.
hope that helps.
Dr. Enrique Molina