How to increase active sperm count?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: Dear Doctor,

My semen analysis shows that the Sperm count is 20 million/ml. The active count is NILL, Sluggish is 2% and Non Motile is 98%.
is there any suggestion for me? How can i increase active sperm count? Please suggest any medicine
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later

I read your query with diligence and understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

1) Your sperm count of 20 million per ml is normal. There is no need to worry about this count.

2) Active motility is low. However as the count is normal, it is possible that this report might be false Therefore I advise you to get another semen analysis when you have 3 days abstinence from- masturbation or sexual abstinence.
Please get the test from a good and reputed laboratory in your town or else visit an IVF centre in your town for semen analysis.

3) If same problem persists, get a prescription for antioxidant tablets from your doctor. Take these for three months and repeat the test.

3) Meanwhile visit an XXXXXXX to get yourself examined for Varicocele or any other problems which lead to decreased motility.

I hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF and infertility specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad