How to get relief from pain in shoulder, elbow and neck?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having shoulder pain on my right side for the past two weeks. just today i could not lift my grandson into his backpack, i also tried to lift both of my arm as to motion a touchdown and i can't get my right side half way up. i tried to lift it up with my left hand and felt no pain when i did it but, my right arm slowly falls even if i try to hold it up. i can feel a sensation in my right arm between the shoulder and elbow all day long and the right side of my neck.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and welcome,

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of Adhesive capsulitis(Frozen shoulder) or Calcific tendonitis.

These conditions are easily managed by regular physiotherapy ( Range of motion exercices,stretching and strengthening exercises). Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with this condition.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Your doctor after diagnosing the condition might refer to you a physical therapist.A physical therapist can teach you stretching exercises to help maintain as much mobility in your shoulder as possible.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later
i have been taking ibuprofen like no other! it seems it has gotten worse. I will take your advise and have my doctor refer me to an orthopedician 'cause as i type to you it is very uncomfortable for me. I am just scared it is nothing like having a stroke or anything like that. My father had a stroke, high blood pressure, disbetes, cancer and everything else!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Don't get scared, it's nothing looks like having a stroke.From features described it looks like orthopaedic one. So I again advice you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for proper diagnosis and management.

As you have family history of high blood pressure and diabetes, you are at more risk of getting these. So I suggest you to get these screened out.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.