Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How to get relief from pain in shoulder, elbow and neck?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I have been having shoulder pain on my right side for the past two weeks. just today i could not lift my grandson into his backpack, i also tried to lift both of my arm as to motion a touchdown and i can't get my right side half way up. i tried to lift it up with my left hand and felt no pain when i did it but, my right arm slowly falls even if i try to hold it up. i can feel a sensation in my right arm between the shoulder and elbow all day long and the right side of my neck.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and welcome,
Thanks for writing to us.

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of Adhesive capsulitis(Frozen shoulder) or Calcific tendonitis.

These conditions are easily managed by regular physiotherapy ( Range of motion exercices,stretching and strengthening exercises). Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with this condition.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Your doctor after diagnosing the condition might refer to you a physical therapist.A physical therapist can teach you stretching exercises to help maintain as much mobility in your shoulder as possible.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to get relief from pain in shoulder, elbow and neck? 39 minutes later
i have been taking ibuprofen like no other! it seems it has gotten worse. I will take your advise and have my doctor refer me to an orthopedician 'cause as i type to you it is very uncomfortable for me. I am just scared it is nothing like having a stroke or anything like that. My father had a stroke, high blood pressure, disbetes, cancer and everything else!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Don't get scared, it's nothing looks like having a stroke.From features described it looks like orthopaedic one. So I again advice you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for proper diagnosis and management.

As you have family history of high blood pressure and diabetes, you are at more risk of getting these. So I suggest you to get these screened out.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor