How to avoid side effects of Leveritacetam?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I typed it all out. effects of leveritacetam. then it got lost trying to send it to you. No doctor could advise. Cant see consultant till 12 July. 2 weeks one a day, then 2 a day for the last week and a half. I have weakness, loss of appetite, nose throat and ear aches, sleepiness, neck pain, sem-lock jaw that makes eating quite difficult. What can i do? no doctor will advise and they don't seem to know what to advise. can't ask consultant as he's away till 12th when i have appt.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some more details

Detailed Answer:

Please provide the details of the dosage of the drugs you were on and you are on now.

I shall based on the dosage advice you how to get off the medication with tapering dosage.

Waiting for your response,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later
The drug I am taking, and want to finish in tapering doses, is Lamotrogine. I started one 25mg tablet a day less than two weeks ago, and told my doctor that it was as troublesome as the previous medication so he told me, last Saturday I should cease taking Lamotrogine. He asked me if there was a central groove to indicate it could be cut in half. I told him no. He told me to take only 3 more pills with a night of no pill in between. This would take up till Wed 9 July. However, too late to ask him, I found the table did indeed have a groove and rang his colleague to ask him if I should halve the tablets. His colleague advised me to take half a tablet each day until Wed 9 July. This I am doing. I would just like confirmation that this is right. My last half dose will be this Wednesday. I see my consultant on Saturday. Should I stop with the last one on Wednesday and not take any more till 12th July? Or take 2 halves more? I was on one Leveritacetam a day for two weeks. Then I began 2 a day. After a week I felt so ill my doctor changed me to lamotragine. I took 1 lamatrodine a day but soon felt almost as ill as with the 2 Lev a day. My doctor, when I told him this a week into taking lamotragine, told me to come off this drug also. Last Friday when he told me this he asked if the tablets had a central groove meaning they could be halved. I said no. He said then take only three more tablets every other day ie Saturday, Monday and tomorrow Wednesday. Then i saw the tabs did have a central groove ad cd be halved, so rang surgery again. another doctor advised me to take one half a tab for the six days till tomorrow Wednesday. This I did and feel worse each day. I take one half tonight and the last half tomorrow. I see consultant on Saturday 12 July. Have I done the right thing to take halves? Will stopping the tabs tmw lead to seizures before my saturday appointment. I would like your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes, you are on right path

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Sorry for the delayed response.

You are on right path of tapering the dose. Cutting the tablet and taking a half til 9th july is fine. There is no need for an extra dosage. This can help to get off the medication smoothly.

Drink ample amount of water.

regards,